3-Day Lightning Protection Seminar for Professionals:
Lightning Protection for Civilian Engineers
To understand how damage can occur and to learn defensive measures that can be employed for maximum lightning protection. Cost is $1995.
- Introduction: How NLSI Works; Lightning Accident Statistics.
- Fundamental Concepts of Lightning Protection: Lightning Physics 101; Lightning Characteristics; Lightning Safety Overview.
- Risk Assessment: Probabilities and Realities; Example of Risk Analysis for Critical Operations.
- The Grounding and Bonding Imperative: Guidelines; Electro-Geological Model; Design Options; Solutions to Difficult Grounding Situations; Shielding and Bonding Examples; Case Studies.
- Exterior Lightning Protection for a Complex Facility: Air Terminals; Approved Designs – Franklin/Masts/Overhead/Faraday-Like Shield; Rolling Ball Theory per Codes; Selection of Appropriate Air Terminal Alternatives; Down Conductors.
- Interior Lightning Protection for the Electrical System of a Complex Facility Including Communications and Data Lines: Families of Surge Protection Devices — IEC, NFPA, NEC, IEEE; Locations; Technologies; Performance; Specifications; Installation; Codes and Standards; Recommended Vendors.
- Lightning Protection for Communications Towers and Facilities: Exterior and Interior Considerations for Air Terminals; Grounding; Bonding; Shielding; Surge Protection; Maintenance. Includes field inspection of tower sites as available.
- Application of Air Terminals, Bonding, Shielding, Grounding and Surge Protection to Critical Operations.
- Codes: IEC 62305; AS/NZS-1768; NFPA-780; MX-Norma J-549 (in Spanish); MSHA Explosives; USAF 32-1065; Navy OP5; Army 385-64; NEC 250; IEEE 1100; IEEE 142 (as relevant, one of more codes will be applied and discussed). Discussion of Junk Science ESE/DAS/CTS.
- Lightning Detection: Pros and Cons of Available Detector Technologies; Recommendations.
- Inspection, Maintenance, and Testing: Checklists for Facilities; Review Failures; In-Field Measuring (where available) with Fall of Potential and Clamp-On Test Meters.
- Lightning Protection for Outdoor Workers: Safe/Not Safe Zones; Shelters; Statistics; Physical and Psychological Damage; Safety Measures for Work and Recreation; Ready-To-Go Worker Safety Documents.
- Field Tour (as available) with Commentary and Discussions; Award Certifications; Graduation.
The following materials are provided to students:
- "Lightning Protection for Engineers" by NLSI
- NFPA 780
- "Bonding Illustrated" by NLSI
- "Understanding Ground Resistance Testing"
- Writing materials and notebook
Fees and Reservations
Cost is $1,995 per student, and pre-payment via credit card is required. Minimum class size is 15 attendees. Upon request, this class may be customized for various industry sectors, such as architecture, aviation, communications, mining, petrochemical, and processing. Group training for large organizations is an objective, but not a sole purpose. Graduates receive Certificate of Proficiency and 3.0 continuing education units (CEUs). Contact NLSI for hosting a class at your training facility: email NLSI, telephone 303-666-8817, fax 303-926-1227.