In October 1997, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
published findings of some 35 years of USA lightning statistics. Fatalities,
injuries, and damage were compiled for the years 1959-1994. We summarize
the Report (1) as below:
1. Location of Incident:
27% Open fields & recreation areas (not golf).
14% Under trees (not golf).
8% Water-related (boating, fishing, swimming
5% Golf/golf under trees.
3% Heavy equipment and machinery-related.
0.7% Radio, transmitter & antenna-related.
2. Gender of victims = 84% male; 16% female.
3. Months of most incidents = June 21%, July 30%, Aug 22%.
4. Days of week of most incidents = Sun./Wed./Sat.
5. Time of day of most incidents = 2 PM to 6 PM.
6. Number of victims = One (91%), two or more (9%).
7. Deaths by State, Top Five = FL, MI, TX, NY, TN.
8. Injuries by State, Top Five = FL, MI, PA, NC, NY.
Curran, Holle, & Lopez: 1997, Lightning Fatalities, Injuries and
Damage Reports in the United States,1959-1994, NOAA Tech. Memo. No.
NWS SR-193, October 1997.